Saturday, November 21, 2009

Greeting from Mindelo Sao Vicente Cape Verde

16* 53.05 N
24* 59.74 W
Anchored 6m sandy bottom.

Makin our way Westard, and quickly...taking three day to cover the 500nm trip here. It's funny as 15km/hr may not seem fast... but at nighttime when the knot meter is bumping from 8 to 10 knots, it feels as if your going a hundred miles an hour, your just blasting through the waves, ready to take flight. There are few feelings of speed that come close to this.....Vicky's great too, she always confirms my go fast feeling...... usually by screaming at me while she's in bed from the center cabin..."take down some sails, put a reef in"
My ansawers is always the same I read her off the wind speed and tell her I already have two reefs in, and ok I agree I won't put the spinnaker up... only because it is too windy and I can't. Every now and then, Vic (never being satisfied with my lame responces) will fly out into the cockpit to check the wind and boat speed and verfiy that I have a couple of reefs in the main, all the time mumbling and wondering why sailboats have to heel, kids have to sleep, sea are too big, and ending with why did I ever agree to this, before she'll return back down below. One of small and simple things I learned on our last trip was to ensure the instruments are set up properly, ie that the anometer reads about 5 knots lower than it's actually blowin, ensure when sailing up wind you are reading true wind speed and down wind you are reading apparent wind speed. It makes an incredile difference....mind over matter... ..
I suppose when Vic reads this we will be across the Atlantic and It will be ok that I can confess that yes we need to properly calibrate our instruments. Ahh I'm feeling better already.

Oh ya ...Yes the kids and one loving parent are doing very well, they went on tour today by Ferry and taxi to another island... not sure of the name, looks the same as this one, although I'm sure to be told otherwise.
Today I'm getting a chance perform some TLC on our watermaker and batteries and chargers, the later despite spending 1000's on before we left are starting act up.

As always I've said too much and should go back to bilges.. :)

O

No comments:

Post a Comment