Sunday, October 18, 2009

two cents worth and other dribble...

It's Saturday evening and we have made another small mile stone, Canaries Islands.

.......actually anyone with a bit of rope and a few empty oil drums and a 24 pack , could have made this trip. It was dead down wind, even a slight current taking us all due south, given time you'd eventually hit one of the Island, ourselves we managed to hit (ever so softly) Tenerfie the largest of Canary Islands (go figure) and after a day/night anchored in a picture postcard perfect cove, (black sandy beech included) we are now in city of Santa Cruz de Ternerfie. I thought Funchal was big...

As for my two cents worth, well, it is known I do like to complain and tell "Mother-in - law" stories, For this visit I even had a few options including finding or purchasing of a few local pets to take up temporary residence in our forward guest cabin, Geco's grow quite big here or maybe some the wharf rats/cats (not much difference that I can see between them) , these pets would I`m sure assist in the reductions of one's stay on board? My first plan was to take the boat to a rolling anchorage for a few nights, but that became obvious it wasn't going to work as we did Sail with Mary the first day in fairly rough conditions and she really enjoyed it, stating that her kids didn't get any of their seasickness from her. The final fall back plan if all else failed, was to start walking and work around on the boat in the buck, this should be enough to scare anyone. I heard somewhere that this also works for getting your kids out of the house after they have finished school and are too comfortable to leave home. Any how I digress, as non of this was at all necessary, I think a good time was had by all. I also really enjoyed having a wine tasting partner as Vicky had seem to gone off wine, stating it isn't strong enough to help her deal with me.
The above being said, I do have few stories saved for a later date, and although there is a code of sorts, in that "what happens on the boat stays on the boat".........but when Mary fell off the boat a few days before leaving, ... that could be fair, no? ..... I also figure within code was Mary's beach incident. One inwhich I never did work out if Mary was showing off her former days as a synchronized swimmer and forgetting about the large waves or showing us she knew how to Body Surf landing in style with a twist or two. Regardless it was keeping the kids and the rest of the beach entertained. Will save the details of these off boat stories for a later date.
I suppose I'll hear more from the Admiral on the above, she has already told me my comments on my last posting about the "kids being bait" is going to eliminate me all together from the "Daddy of the Year" award. phew...Thank goodness for that.. What's the winning prize ? another kid? Personally if I can avoid being a ward of the State, be it Jail or a nut house, in raising our two kids, that in itself will be the reward. Speaking of which, I have finally figure out (being as slow as I am) why Schools were invented, it certianly wasn't for education, that at best must be a distant second to their primary goal of getting the kids out of the house (or boat).
Well at least in all my rambblings those of you who don't know me, can now sympathise with Vicky and more importantly Nyah and Rogan.

Well we also did find the location of the bar we going to visit. We apparently can't get the boat into the local harbour where "Bobbins Bar" is located, thus will take kids on the bus trip across the island over the next couple of days. Vicky of course has other plans (maybe even more worthwhile?) one that does sound interesting is a trip to the snow capped mountain here, hard to beleive in this heat, and the on going boat maintenance in exoctic sp? places, as this is our last big stop (via Cape Verde Islands) before heading off over to the Carrib´s .

Well got to go, It's time to get back to Spannish Siesta's, tapa bars, and topless beaches.

still Livin the dream and now looking for Private Schools (the boarding type).. because our kids education is worth it!

Olous Out

3 comments:

  1. Olous, you crack me up!!! Great blog...just found the site again.
    Sounds like you guys are having a wonderful time!
    Tell Vicky and the kids that John, Megan & I say hello! Can't wait to hear all your stories!
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. holy crap Olous! I am now "scanning" the blog posts, as opposed to reading them! ha ha! I do however want to hear more about mom's synchronized swimming incident-sounds like a good laugh :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Guys

    How's it going? We are in Almeria, southern Spain heading for Barcelona as fast as we can. Which isn't very fast at all! Spent a few days in gibraltar - very strange place indeed! Was nice to buy some decent tea as vicky's had run out a long time ago and Ali's mum managed to buy us a big bag of ...........decaff. hope you are enjoying the spanish beer and wine as much as we are, have run out of vino verde already but not going back to portugal to get any! Have fun Islay mist crew ;-) PS your blog is very funny keep it up!

    ReplyDelete